Thursday, January 21, 2016

La Segunda Semana: The Week of Challenges


"Ashley - You are so smart . . . Always use that to your advantage.  Never forget that you are beautiful.  I love you dearly.  Always remember that.  Stay strong. - J.P."

These words can be found hidden inside the cover of a wonderful book that was gifted to me by a family friend upon my high school graduation, titled Keep Believing: in Yourself and Your Dreams.  The inspiring pages that follow have been heavily thumbed through this past week and even today.  In coming to Peru, I knew that there would be obstacles along the way.  Life is full of challenges, and studying abroad in a beautiful place does not exempt me from the "trials and tribulations," as my Papa would call them.  Of course, there is much good that has come with the bad, and I am always able to find a bright side when life throws me a steady curve ball or two.  A few tears have fallen, but I have smiled far more than I have frowned.  I am a short hair past two weeks now, and less than 100 days remain in my stay in Peru.  Time is flying, as it always seems to; I am staying very busy.   Honing in on my responsibilities and interests, I am becoming a better Ashley each and every day.  But, I must be honest, this country has challenged me a bit.  Maybe more than a bit...

The first seven days, I failed to have a door that shut completely.  It took a few discussions - completely in Spanish, of course - to finally come to a solid compromise with my host mother that it was necessary for me to have a door that shut/locked.  The second week took off on a running start with my first full, good night of rest and much appreciated privacy, free of bright morning light, constant noise, and the paranoia of shower peepers.  I was very patient, yet persistent, and this eventually paid off in my favor.


Speaking of patience...  Family and friends, you are probably aware that patience is not my strong suite - my jar is half full and tends to drain rather quickly.  It takes a lot to burn my fuse - but, when it's gone - watch out!  Well, fear no more.  Patience is a must in Peru!  It took me over a week to be on time to any place that I was going.  With hectic traffic, extra long lights, and the sense of time (or lack thereof) of Peruvians, I found myself half running to class and anywhere else I planned on being.  My family likes to feed me minutes before I have to be somewhere, usually to class.  It takes me 20-25 minutes to get to school on foot, so I have to leave 30 minutes prior to be safe. (I have stop to take pictures here and there, too, of course.) A whopping three hours long, my classes require my full attention and a small dose of patience when we manage to only get a 5-10 minute break... and often more than halfway through the class.  At restaurants, you have to beg the waiter to get your check (la cuenta vs. el cuento is good to know, too) and asking for it to be separated adds another 20-30 minutes to your wait, especially when with a group.  On outings with my Peruvian family I have also discovered that what they consider to be a "short walk" is, in reality, an all day affair.  & Two weeks in, I have yet to obtain a key to the apartment.  This, too, requires patience and a strong finger to hit the doorbell 20+ times some afternoons.  Peruvians often take midday naps or siestas as I like to call them.  Hey, I like to nap, too.  They are easy-going people, and I can appreciate that.  I like to stop and smell the roses, too.  And, patience is a virtue.  I may get frustrated here and there, but it's good for me.  Every strain in my brow adds a grain of patience to my jar, right?  I'd sure like to think so.  I've been taking a lot of deep breaths to get through the day.

Only a couple of days have been both physically and mentally draining for me to stay positive.  Lima is one of the most polluted cities in Latin America... and I will leave it at that.  The contamination is a big mental obstacle for me every day.  I discovered that I have nine free days at the end of this trip, instead of heading home after finals as I had planned on in making my initial reservations.  For two, a rather interesting excursion to a not-so-nice beach started off my week.  Not what I was promised or expecting it to be, but I will definitely take a crack at the beach again regardless.  Punta Hermosa, here I come!  Today also challenged me, but I have yet again risen above the issue, handling it with grace and a positive attitude in the end.  I am sure that my host family was surprised to watch me transform into a rather stern and frustrated businesswoman, spending more than an hour on the phone making calls back and forth to the states, but I thankfully could handle the matter in English for once and we came to a resolution.  I have forgiven and I have forgotten.  I am so incredibly thankful for Stephen - my guardian and professor here from the states - he and his wife are gems.  My heart is heavy.  Boy, do I miss my family and friends.  I miss my Papa so very, very much.  Mom and I often speak daily, but I could definitely use a genuine hug from her, too.  Don't even get me started on the boyfriend... but, he will be here the end of March! :)  To combat my homesickness, I have decorated a wall in my room with "my people" and nature photos I have taken.  This definitely helps me to cope in seeing your beautiful, smiling faces every day and reading the words you sent along with me.  Above all, I always know that I am loved.


Don't worry, I am still fully enjoying Lima.  I am so pleased to have shared many moments of pure emotion with my host family - since the first day, really - and even more so in the second week.  Genuine smiles, laughs, hugs...  This week my Peruvian mom forgot to buy napkins at the store, and came to the dinner table with a roll of toilet paper.  She could hardly keep a straight face as she passed out three sheets to each of us.  Finally, she broke down - letting out a big, belly laugh - telling us that we had to wipe our faces with toilet paper!  This past week, I became my Peruvian mother's daughter - her hija - she said.  Very close to my heart, my host mom is already.  Her eyes twinkle with happiness; she is full of warmth, love, and light.  She is a beautiful soul; my place of refuge in Peru.  My Peruvian mom is my place of security and serenity, she does not judge.  She is solely here to help and she loves to do so.  A fellow lover of plants and animals, I look forward to sharing more with her.  So far, I have given her all of the flower photos that I brought with me from home.  She kept saying, "Do you have doubles?"  I didn't, but I can always print more, and I was more than happy to give them to her.  Since the first day, she has reminded me of my great-grandmother Luella.  My Mom thinks that my host mom is a Peruvian version of my great-great-grandmother Henrietta; she really does look a lot like her, from her nose to her smile.  I am certain that my host mother was hand-picked for me by the stars & angels that watch over me.  She has touched my heart, and is there for me when I need her the most.  I truly am blessed.

I have experienced even more beauty outside of the comfort of my host family.  With the UNK group (there are 11 of us girls and our two guardians makes for 13), a professor, and a guide, we took a two hour hike to the waterfall of Matucana, Peru - Catarata de Antankallo.  I was yet again challenged, this time by my fear of heights, but it was well worth the stress.  I have many gorgeous photos and memories from our journey to the waterfall.  I consider myself very lucky to have had several animal encounters (mostly pups, but I am completely fine with this).  Much needed and has always been good for my soul to scratch a few ears and garner a good lick or two.  Urban birding is not as exciting as I had hoped it would be, but I have watched and heard the calls of Long-tailed Mocking Birds, Saffron Finches, masses of Black Vultures, and what the locals call "cuculis" - which is really a West Peruvian Dove, the more attractive version of a Mourning Dove.  They sound rather similar to the doves in the states and much like their name coo-coo-lee, coo-coo-lee (yes, I certainly do talk to them).  On my walk to school, I discovered a rather interesting looking spider, as well.  She is a Spiny Backed Orb Weaver and she is beautiful!  In all my life, I never thought I would be so intrigued by a spider.  But, here I am, checking on her each day on my walk to school!  Now.. for what you've all been waiting for (the pictures!)...  In sequential order, from the streets of Matucana, Peru to the Catarata de Antankallo &, my personal favorite, the orb weaver. :)   Enjoy!





At the end of the day or week, I can handle whatever is thrown at me.  There may be tears at times, but they must come.  I know that it is better to fully acknowledge and experience my emotions as they come, and I will continue to move forward in the process.  I really am one tough, frosted oatmeal raisin cookie!  One last thing; I want to share some words that are keeping me motivated.  I think they will benefit you, too, no matter where you are.  (Art from the streets of Matucana...)

Ten Important Traveling Companions to Take with You on the Journey to Your Dreams by Barbara Cage

1.  Confidence: for when things get tough, when you're overwhelmed, when you think of giving up.

2.  Patience: with your own trials and temptations, and with others.

3.  An adjustable attitude: one that doesn't react, but responds with well-though-out actions and feelings.

4.  Beauty: within yourself, in your surroundings, and nature. 

5.  Excitement: new things to enjoy and learn and experience. 

6.  Fun: laughter and smiles any way you can get them.

7.  Companionship: people to share your happiness and sorrows, your troubles and joys.

8.  Health: mental, physical, and emotional. 

9.  Peace: with others, yourself, and in your environment.

10.  Love: pure, unconditional, and eternal.

Have a happy weekend!  For now - Chow!  - A

No comments:

Post a Comment