Thursday, February 25, 2016

La Sexta Semana: Paradise in Paracas

par-uh-dahys (n.) - a place of extreme beauty, delight, or happiness; a state of supreme happiness; bliss

After a brain-blowing week of assessments, my weekend started early with no class on Thursday.  On Fridays, I am always free from classes, and to not have a three day weekend every week once I get back is going to be a big adjustment.  For now, I am really loving that aspect of Peru. The girls and I did have a quick date on Thursday afternoon, though, to the U.S. Embassy.  I enjoyed the little taste of America for a minute, but in reality, I don't miss the U.S. very much.  I do miss my people, the safety, and the respect for the environment that exists in the good ol' U.S.A... BUT, I am almost to the half-way mark of this adventure and I can honestly say that I am more on the side of disliking that fact than being ready to pack up my bags and head home.  Peru is beautiful; and, looking back on all that has happened over the course of the first half and (more than) six weeks of my time here, my experience has had more positives than negatives.  My favorite of times thus far, actually, happened over the weekend.
After indulging in the hottest hot sauce of my life, a wonderful taco, chips and salsa (rare here), and 2 marvelous margaritas the night before, I woke up at the crack of dawn to catch a bus to Paracas (Ica).  After about four hours, I was transported to a literal paradise.  Paracas was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life, and Saturday was one of the most amazing days in my life.  Yes, it was that perfect.  Most of Friday was spent relaxing in the sun, switching my location from poolside to in front of the ocean frequently.  Oh, it was really a rough decision, both spots were gorgeous.  With my camera, I walked the beach and picked up shells following a little yoga session by the beach at sunrise on Saturday.  Then, I indulged in fresh fruit with chia seeds, quinoa bread with honey, and a cranberry mimosa (I loved it so much I had the same thing Sunday, morning, too...) YUM.  Afterwards, we hopped on a speedboat to another, this time an island, paradiseIslas Ballestas: a small island chain full of hundreds of sea lions, birds, and a diversity of life in general (my favorite).  We made one stop to check out an ancient line formation in the dunes that pre-dates the Nazca Lines.  That was awesome, but it was quickly surpassed in awesomeness by the next thing I saw.
The groups of dolphins that passed us while feeding on our way to and from the islands took the cake for the entire weekend for me.  This was my first time on the open ocean.  To see dolphins was an overwhelmingly beautiful experience and I most definitely ugly cried.  No shame.  To garner a visit from such breathtaking, intelligent creatures on my first ocean ride was by far one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life.  Words simply do not do enough justice to how special that moment was to me!  I will NEVER forget that, never ever.  I am SO blessed.  

I was happy to be the guide's echo (except, I was first in saying everything) about the life that inhabited the island.  I'm a birder (an all animal lover, really), what can I say?  (Are those boobies?  I'm pretty sure those are...)  "The majority of birds on this reserve are boobies.  The Blue-Footed Booby comes to visit this area once a year..."  There were cormorants, pelicans, Humboldt Penguins (yes...), and more.  Bright red crabs adorned the rocks that were covered in clams and mussels.  But, the real stars were the sea lions, separated by different beaches.  I was amazed by how huge they were up close, and in such great numbers, too.  At the end, I was so happy to hear the guide tell us that this reserve will stay this way only if we continue to respect and protect it from pollution.  Can I have his job?  If I fail to come home, you'll know where to find me.

Booby Clan

Humboldt Penquins
Can you spot the lone penguin?







Sea lion beach of pregnant mothers/elopers

Fisherman pulling a diver

For the rest of Saturday, I kicked back, relaxed, and read my Neotropics book by the ocean.  I took a break to try out paddle boarding on the waves - & it was much more difficult than when on the lakes at home, obviously.  Still a lot of fun!  That night, my resort roomie and I were entertained at the bar  by a live band that played authentic Peruvian tunes with a reggae twist.  Then, under the full moon and stars, we took a dip in the pool in total peace and serenity.  I never wanted to leave the paradise that is Paracas...




But we had to leave.  Before the bus came to swoop us girls up, we took advantage of the calm, glass waters of the early morning to go paddle boarding again.  I will never forget those views.  From the Booby on the buoy to the three Andean Flamingos I spotted (and photographed, too).  Beyond amazing, yet again, for me to watch and admire this rare species of flamingo.  On our way out, we checked out the museum on the resort that was full of indigenous artifacts.  There were headdresses and fans of ancient Neotropical birds.  I can only imagine what they looked like... All I can say is - What a beautiful world we live in!
Andean Flamingo

Upon returning from paradise, I was featured on national Peruvian television for the carnival fiesta I went to two weeks ago.  Apparently it was a bigger deal that I thought... too funny.  They definitely captured my excitement.  & Who else can say that?  P.S. I have yet to move locations yet... but, I'm going with the flowww.


All in all, I am so very thankful for my weekend in paradise.  I only took over 580 photos to prove it.  I feel rather refreshed after this weekend; this experience was exactly what I needed to remind me of how incredibly fortunate I am to be in Peru.  There is no challenge that I cannot face here.  As each day passes, I find that I am loving Peru and myself even more.  For that, I believe, is where true peace is found.  Within myself, paradise exists!  I needed Paracas to remind me of that: to love myself and the beautiful life that surrounds me - the highs and the lows included - and just live.  In my heart, I know that I am growing and changing into a better Ashley in Peru... & it won't stop here.


Thanks for checking in to my big adventure & the thoughts that ensue!  Until next week... Chow!  - A 





No comments:

Post a Comment